December 17, 2010

Learning not to Worry

Jaron had his 12 month appointment yesterday. He is 28.5 inches long (10%) and 19 lbs. 8 oz (13%). He has only grown an inch and gained 1 lb. in 6 months. While the doctor didn't seem overly concerned, she did say the dreaded words of "this isn't normal" and "we are going to watch him." Words a mom never likes to hear from the doctor. I have known in my heart for a couple of months that he hasn't been growing but I pushed worried thoughts out of my head and tried to focus on his amazingly happy personality. But to hear the doctor say those things, the worried thoughts came rushing in.

So now I am learning to not worry about what I can't change. Learning to not think what if I had done this or that, but to focus on all the great strides in development Jaron has made (even if he is a little behind) and to continue to do what I have been doing all along...loving him the best that I can. And as I look at him happily playing on the floor with his toys...listen to his giggles when he plays peek-a-boo with me...hold him close to me as I rock him to sleep at night...I think to myself, if this is what "not normal" is like, then I am okay with that.

No comments: