January 31, 2009

Mom's visit

My mom was here visiting for a couple of weeks. It went by really fast and it wasn't as exciting as I hoped it would be. Just before she showed up I picked up a cold. Then Josiah picked it up and became really clingy and didn't want to have anything to do with other people. He was also very fussy and he was quick to tears. This made it very difficult for us to go and do anything. On top of that we decided when my mom first showed up that would we try to remodel our bedroom thinking that mom could watch Josiah while we worked. Just as we took everything out of the room and pulled up the carpet, Jason came down with a cold. With everyone feeling sick, progress on our bedroom is taking longer than we had hoped. But toward the end of this week everyone started to feel better and we were able to make it out and do some fun things.

On Wednesday mom and I went to a pottery shop downtown where you can glaze your own pottery. You pick out a piece of pottery from their selection and they provide glaze for you to use. Then they fire it and you can pick it up a couple of days later. Ours won't be ready until Sunday. I did a chip platter that is in the shape of a leaf. I am a little nervous about how it is going to look. The last time I glazed something was in junior high and it didn't turn out very good. Mom glazed a cup and saucer, because she loves to drink tea, and a piggy bank for Josiah. We had a lot of fun and she wants to go back when she visits again. Then Wednesday night we all got bundled up and went out with our life group and gave coffee, hot chocolate, and blankets to the homeless people who were unfortunate enought to have to sleep out in the near freezing temperatures.

On Thursday we went to the aquarium over in Newport, OR. We couldn't have asked for a better January day. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was about 50 degrees. Josiah enjoyed looking at all the fish, sea lions, sea otters, and birds. His favorite part was the tunnels you walk through and the fish are all around you. My favorite part was the sea otters. There is one sea otter, named Judge, that sits right by one of the windows. He likes to hangout with humans so I sat on the ledge next to his window which was right in the sun. I warmed myself in the sun and watched Judge clean himself and do flips for me for 30 minutes. It was so relaxing.


Mom left today and she and dad will be back this summer time for a visit. Hopefully when they come back we won't be sick. Now I will show you the pictures.




This a picture taken when mom first showed up. This is Josiah and I sitting on the couch snuggling with a warm blanket and reading a book because we felt too sick to do anything else.


One of the days mom took Josiah down to the toy store and bought him a couple of things. Mom bought him a car set, and ball and ramp thing, and a toy tool set. Here he is playing with the car set.

I just thought this was a fun picture so I thought I would post it.


Here is mom and Josiah going for a walk. The wind was blowing just right to make Josiah's hair stick straight up.


This is Josiah watching the birds dive and swim around for their food.


Josiah and daddy looking at fish.


Josiah trying to catch the sea horse.


Josiah playing with Judge the sea otter.

No comments: