February 1, 2012

Preschool

Once again blogging has fell by the wayside. I think about it often and then get overwhelmed with all the things I could write and then I don't write at all. This year I have lined out a schedule for myself so I can keep up on things. I have been doing pretty well so I decided I would add this to my regular schedule. I hope to blog once a week. We will see how it goes.

There are so many things I could put up from the past two months, but I am going to start with the present. If you want to know what we were up to over Christmas you can call or email. :)

Since Josiah is 4 he could go off to preschool, but for lots of different reason we are choosing to keep him home and we have been doing a regular preschool time 3-4 times a week. It has been fun seeing the progress Josiah is making. He knows all his letters and sounds. If I give him a word he can tell me what it starts with. He is beginning to sound out simple three letter words. He is getting good at writing his name. One top of the basic reading, writing, and math stuff, I also provide an activity where he gets to build and be creative. Below our some pictures of what we have done.

Not a great picture of Jaron, but we turned a cardboard box into a house for them. This a picture before we put in the door and the windows.

Josiah making a nest out of blankets and pillows.

All three got to play with dried black beans and cooking utensils. This entertained even the little ones for 30 minutes.



One day I put shaving cream on aluminum foil and Josiah practiced writing and then he drew pictures. He really liked this activity.

Jaron got to play, too.

Lately Josiah has been interested in outer space and rockets. We went to the library and got a few books on the topic. Besides reading to him, I decided I would give him a chance to make his own space ship. I collected a bunch of materials he could use and told him to design and make one. First, he made a drawing so he would know what his rocket should look like.

Here is what he put together. After this picture was taken he decided the rocket boosters (yes he calls them rocket boosters) were not correct. They were too flimsy and they wouldn't hold rocket fuel. So he cut some more cardboard and made better rocket boosters. Unfortunately, the space ship could not fly because there was no astronaut to fly it, so today we made an astronaut and a moon. The astronaut has made several missions to the moon today.



No comments: