This post is a little different than what I normally write, but it shows the heart of Josiah and I wanted to share that with his family.
Being a Christian in American society is hard. Not hard in the sense that the life that God calls us to is full of burdens, but that there are so many distractions that get in the way. We have a busy schedule and it is busy watching my two kids and babysitting a third. And also want a clean house. And I also want to exercise. So I have gotten lazy and have not sought what after God and His amazing plans for my life. I just coast, going from task to task, day to day and try not to think about it. But the truth is the Holy Spirit just didn't all me do that for very long.
I felt the tugging a month ago. I ignored it for a couple of weeks but finally I called a friend and she helped me out. But I was still struggling with how this was going to work with Jason's busy schedule and me taking care of 3 kids. Ideas started coming to my head. More ideas were "randomly" showing up in other places. But I wasn't committing to anything. Just flopping around. Then one day as I was reading one article on scripture memorization, my sweet three year old comes up to me, snuggles in and looks up at with me with his beauitful innocent eyes and says, "Mommy, I want to be like Jesus. Can you show me how?"
The challenge had been issued. It was as if God himself said, "Are you going to follow or not?" The tears began to fall and I choked out, "I will try little man. I will try." His response, "Thank you, mommy." That was all God was asking, was for me to start trying.
So this past week Josiah and I have been working together to be like Jesus. We made muffins for the neighbors. I am memorizing Colossians and he is memorizing certain passages with me. He listens as I recite the words through out the day. We made prayer cards that we hung around the house to help us make the day full of prayer instead of just 15 minutes in the morning. Whenever I see a prayer card I pray aloud and he then takes his chair over to the card and "reads" the prayer also. I have a friend who is in the hospital and he decided to make her a card to cheer her up. Together we are journeying to discover what it means to be like Jesus.
And through all of this we sing together:
May our steps be worship, may our thoughts be praise
May our words bring honor to your name
1 comment:
What a special little boy we all have. Out of the mouths of babes I think the saying goes. Can't wait to see them.
Post a Comment